Thursday, March 10, 2011

dogs, motorcycles, and temples oh my....!

Well it has been eventful last couple weeks to say the least!

First, my roommate for the next three months arrived, which means not only a partner in crime for cultural and city orientation, but also the start of language classes!  We started on Monday, and our lovely teacher Chalita is very gracious and kind, and talks v....e...rr...y s....low.....ly for her "bidishi bidhyaartis" (foreign students).  Here is a brief recap of some sentences I can put together:
Mero naam Meghann ho.
Mero desh America ho.
Ma Kathmandumaa, Patanmaa, Dhobighatmaa baschuu.
Ma Nepali baashaa sikchhu, ma bidhyaarti hu.
Mero jholako rang seto, raato, ru kaalo chha.

Translation:
My name is Meghann
I am from America.
I live in Kathmandu, in the suburb Patan, at/near the dhobighat.
I am learning Nepali; I am a student.
My purse is white, red, and black.

CLEARLY I am well on my way to effortless fluency.  You have no idea how much I can with just that little amount of Nepali ;)

Anyways, Jessica, my roommate is wondeful! We have been having a great time.  She will be here for three months teaching some of our mother tongue translators (MTTs) how to improve their English and professional writing skills.

New subject: DOGS.  Apparently the dogs in KTM have determined that white foreigners can usually be dependable for small food handouts and to NOT throw rocks at you.  Therefore, dogs will sometimes attach themselves to foreigners who are out walking on the streets.  This usually isn't too much of an issue, but tonight my friend and I had a small female dog get so attached to us that she followed us for almost a half hour, waiting outside the bank for us, crossing the busy jawalakelchowk (roundabout) with us, etc.  The reason became clear very quickly: every time we passed a male dog, of which there are many, they would snap, growl, chase, and try to EAT HER until we had passed...I was certain that both the dog and my leg were probably gonna get chomped on.  I have never been so relieved to go to a restaurant as I was when we finally ditched the dog for some yummy Chinese food.

Motorcycles...sometimes, they just get a bit too close for comfort.  Maybe its my western "personal space bubble" kicking in, and there a few other reasons, but motorcycles are starting to make me jumpy.  Guess I'll just have to take the plunge and purchase one myself....if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :)

Yesterday we visited the Patan Durbar square.  It is a beautiful and clean square in the center of Monghol Bazaar which houses both temples boasting stunning Newari wood carvings, and the residence of the former Royal family.  There were many nepali youngsters hanging out listening to music, old folks smoking and chatting, and foreigners enjoying good food at the museum cafe and taking lots of pictures (of course!)  See pictures for examples of some of the temples...there is also a picture of my friend Stephanie and I in our new kurtas (traditional female nepali outfit) and a shot of our street with the Himalayas in view.

Stephanie and me!
One of the temples....
Another temple....

Can you see the mountains?

To finish off, its been a great, yet exhausting couple of weeks.  Thank you all so much for your prayers and support - the community I have found and friends are most definitely blessings from God and results from prayers!  Please continue to pray that God will loosen my tongue and sharpen my mind with language learning, and that I will continue to learn and discover all that God wants to reveal to me in this city.  Namaste...

2 comments:

  1. wow!!! keep updating! this is so awesome to hear how your are doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So great to read your updates, Meghann! You are beautiful and your outfit looks gorgeous on you! May God continue to provide for your needs! Praise Him for the friends you have! May He enable you to quickly learn the language! (And I said Namaste in yoga today... now I will think of you at the end of every yoga class!)

    ReplyDelete