Saturday, September 25, 2010

Halfway there...

Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, batptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.  And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:18-20, italics mine)

Friends and family, God is good: I am 50% funded, and halfway to leaving for Asia and service with Wycliffe Associates!  However, I’ll admit – I am confronted by many fears.  I worry about the details of creating a life for myself in SA (Southeast Asia). I worry about the abundant opportunities to build relationships with native people that I will lose due to cultural ignorance.  And I worry that my youth and inexperience on the mission field will be more of an obstacle to God’s Kingdom work than I expect.  It is easy to live here, in the comfort of home, and dream of all the glorious things God will accomplish through my service in overseas.  Yet these dreams, as of late, have been overtaken by the many possible (and less idealistic) realities that may await me in SA.  

And yet, God has clearly taught me that He is not confined or hindered by my lack of competence, talent, or ability.  Rather, He is glorified in my weaknesses!  This concept of glory through weakness has become so sweet to me – and I am sure it will become sweeter still once I arrive in SA.


As blows the wind through summer trees,
And all the leave are stirred,
O Spirit move as thou dost please,
My heart yields at thy word.
Faith hears thee calling from beyond
And doth respond.

What thou dost will-that I desire,
Through me let it be done,
Thy will and mine in love’s own fire
Are welded into one.
“Lord, I believe!” Nay, rather say,
“LORD, I obey”.



In order to follow God’s call, WA asks me to raise 100% of the expenses associated with my work in SA.  WA expects this to be about $2500/month.  If you are interested in partnering with me in this grand adventure financially as well as through following this blog, go to www.wycliffeassociates.org/links/donatenow. Under “Program” select “Other” and then enter my ministry account number: M10088.

No comments:

Post a Comment